The holiday season is quickly approaching and for many of us that means stretching every dollar as far as it will go. When it comes to managing that end of year food budget, our partners at Gleaners Community Food Bank (GCFB) of Southeastern Michigan have over 40 years of expertise. Shawn H. Wilson recently spoke with GCFB President, Gerry Brisson to glean five practical tips to stretch your holiday grocery budget. Check out the video below:
1. Get Help Soon – If you need help, ask for it. Call 211, come into any one of our FREC locations or go to Pantrynet.org to find a pantry close to you.
2. Budget – knowing what you need to buy and sticking to the plan is key to saving money on any shopping trip.
3. Incorporate Fresh Fruits & Veggies – not only are they good for you, but they’re filling
4. Use Coupons – Why not take advantage of great deals? But be careful, sometimes they’re designed for you to over eat or buy more expensive things
5. Visit FREC – You’re always welcome to come into either of our Detroit area FREC locations. We offer groceries, cooking classes and food tastings to try out new things.
Visit either of our FREC locations at:
FREC (D1): 2826 Bagley Ave, Detroit, MI 48216 | PH: 313.962.4888 *Ask for Carmen
FREC (D2): 15491 Maddelein St., Detroit, MI 48205 | PH: 313.733.1240 *Ask for Justin
The Ford Resource and Engagement Center (FREC) is a client-directed community center where people can learn new skills, obtain needed services, develop new talents and celebrate community. Made possible by grants from Ford Motor Company Fund, The Ford Resource and Engagement Center brings together non-profit partners to serve the surrounding community.